The Software Systems Engineer will be responsible for providing technical oversight, assessments, and analysis of software intensive Major Defense Acquisition Programs and Major Information Systems Programs (MDAP/MAIS) in support of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense, Systems Engineering (DASD(SE)), Director, Major Program Support. This is in support of OSD to mentor programs on best practices and assess risk, not hands-on development.
Duties will include:
- Providing technical insight to OSD on software engineering, software development, software architecture, and software acquisition.
- Assist with conducting OSD-level technical reviews and assessments of Department of Defense (DoD) major acquisition programs (e.g., Preliminary Design Review (PDR), Critical Design Review (CDR), Program Support Assessment (PSA)). May evaluate and make recommendations to the Milestone Decision Authority (MDA) on the readiness to enter/exit acquisition milestone in accordance with statutory (Weapon Systems Acquisition Reform Act (WSARA)), regulatory (e.g DoD Instruction (DODI) 5000.02), and DoD guidance.
- May present to senior acquisition leadership on the status and issues associated with MDAP/MAIS in preparation for acquisition decision meetings.
- Maintaining objective insight into programs’ requirement performance and other technical metrics, schedule, risks, engineering management, production, integration, and other engineering discipline heath. Maintain quarterly (at minimum) engagement with the program offices and contractor sites for an assigned portfolio of systems.
- Performing ad hoc analysis and generation of high quality technical reports and presentations for senior DoD leadership to support various public speaking engagements, symposium, conferences, and Congressional/OSD/Service reports.
- Provide software engineering expertise in the evaluation and assessment of MDAP/MAIS programs. Evaluate software planning, software architecture, software development, software execution, use of software development metrics, and software technical management processes for conventional waterfall and Agile methodologies.
- This task spans all phases of the system acquisition life cycle from advanced development planning and size estimating through deployment decisions and sustainment.
- Provide support and assess Acquisition Category (ACAT) ID Major Defense Acquisition Programs (MDAPs) and other special interest programs.
- Using knowledge of weapons systems acquisition, the candidate will participate in Program Support Assessments (PSA), Nunn-McCurdy Congressional Investigations; System Engineering Technical Reviews (SETR) and specific software focused reviews.
- Help identify programmatic and technical risk and provide actionable recommendations. The goal is to help triage programs in most instances to stabilize them and then support them until success.
- Background and capability in Software Engineering on DoD military platforms, Service-Oriented Architectures (SOA), Agile software development, Software Measurement and Metrics, Software Security, Systems Integration, Software Testing, Software Sustainment
- Assist with developing DoD systems engineering guidance as it relates to manufacturing of MDAPs.
- May advise and support the customer’s leadership on the formulation and coordination of DoD software policies, standards, and activities to implement the DoD’s chartered responsibilities for enabling DoD systems engineering.